Thursday, April 16, 2009

Quinoa for Baby?

Quinoa, a grain from South America, is a superfood indeed. This grain is a complete protein and is packed with lots of fiber, calcium, and iron. At our table, I'll sometimes use this grain for recipes that would otherwise require rice. It's fluffy like couscous and not too flavorful.

Considering how much my hungry munchkin loves rice, I wonder if he'd enjoy quinoa . According to wholesomebabyfood.com, quinoa can be offered to babies after 8 months (of course with pediatrician approval).

Today I made a Black Bean, Tomato, and quinoa salad for us, reserving a handful of Black Beans (finger food!) and cooked quinoa for Danny. Tomorrow is an "introduce new food day" in our house, so quinoa it is! I'll let you know how it goes.

Here is what I'm planning on offering:

Quinoa, Chicken & Peas

1/8 cup cooked quinoa
1 cube frozen chicken, defrosted
1 oz pureed peas

Mix them up and serve to hungry munchkin! I might even puree the mix in the mini chopper if the texture is more fitting.

2 comments:

  1. Danny loved the quinoa! I've mixed it in with a number of things, such as peas, sweet potatoes, and squash. Yum! I used whole quinoa but you could use quinoa flour as well. The whole quinoa pulled a corn in the diaper if you know what I mean...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you're doing this blog...totally helpful and informative! i'm hoping to make my own baby food so i'll be following along closely... thanks!!

    ReplyDelete